Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The (Officially Sanctioned) Oscar Event

This post may tend toward the "shallow and self absorbed" end of the spectrum, but, what can I say...my thoughts have been consumed with Oscar preparations for the past week, and the Oscars are the showcase of Hollywood self importance.

That disclaimer out of the way, let me just say...

"Black Tie" sounds simple enough, and perhaps it is for men (my dear husband didn't even consider his "crappy shoes" until the night before), and for women who are skilled in such things, I, however, am not fashion forward (surprise!) and I have no idea, nor do I care, what is going on in Hollywood these days, so, I called in a team of professionals.
Scott and I finally decided, one week before the PWC Oscar party, that we were going to go. My mother and sisters coached me through gown decisions (it was only between two), jewelry, shoes, purses, makeup. Thank you, Mom and sisters, for those of you that continued to answer my calls and texts, and also for watching my children.
Thank you, and also, if any of you ever tell me "don't smile" again, when a camera is pointed at me, you are in trouble!
Now, go ahead, someone from high school, and recognize this dress as the prom dress I wore senior year. Yes, I still have it.
And this next picture is me asking forgiveness. Ok, Meghyn and Mom, you were right. You can't tell at all that I am wearing mascara, even though I thought it was WAY to much.
It was definitely a swanky event. This is the Hall of Mirrors.
This is me eating really good expensive food.
This is Scott, and a spoon made out of chocolate.
Taking up where my wardrobe helpers left off, my new Oscar night friend was trying to teach me how to pose for pictures.
And I am going to be kind and not post any pictures of any of the wealthy Oscar Night attendees who very unfortunately had WAY to much to drink.
It was a fun night for a good cause. I will do it again next year. Maybe next year I will need less counseling.

1 comment: